Thursday 4 October 2012

The Sydney Bridge Climb

Wed 3rd Oct

This morning I was booked in to do the Bridge climb. I wasn't too sure about it when I got there. Started chatting to Bev from Adelaide (originally from Blackpool) who was also feeling a little nervous about what was in store. You are not allowed to take anything up with you on the climb so that meant no cameras which was a shame but their reasoning was quite valid - easy to drop something on pedestrians or cars below. We were all breathalised and asked for details of next of kin which was very reassuring. Next we had to change into a boilersuit. So the dilemma I had that  morning about whether to wear shorts or trousers wasquite irrelevant. We were then given head sets so we could hear the guide, then once the harnesses were on we were off. It was a small group of 12 which meant we didn't have to stop and wait for people to catch up. The pace was nice and easy but not too slow. The first part of the climb goes over the road and is the least highest part, but because it was quite narrow and you could see through the grill down to the road I hated it so did wonder how I was going to manage. I'm glad to say after that it was much better. Just at the very top was a narrow walkway to go along which I didn't particularly like but otherwise it was an enjoyable experience.


As you can see the views were spectacular and we given plenty of time to enjoy them when the guide was taking everyone's photo.


 

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Quite a view from up there! I didn't know it was possible to climb up... that's something I would definitely do! :o)
    Pity about no cameras though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You dare-devil! I don't think I would do that, the height.... terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice boiler suit kiddo....just don't look down

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is quite a performance getting ready isnt it? How were your calf muscles the next day? Gret experience though. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.