Friday 22 June 2012

Prince Henry's room

Samuel Pepys was born in 1633 in Fleet street. There used to be a small collection of pictures and manuscripts relating to Pepys  at No17 Fleet St.

This half timbered house is one of the few buildings to survive the Great Fire of London in 1666. The room on the first floor  is known as Prince Henry's room. It is thought that the Prince may have used the room as a council chamber because his initials and coat of arms have been used as part of the design.

The archway below the building leads to one of the most fascinating areas - the Middle and Inner Temple which I will post some photos of in my next blog.

7 comments:

  1. So much was destroyed in the Great Fire ... It's good to see a building that remains from before this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely buildings so well preserved, never seen these in London.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. such ornate architecture.

    thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the most beautiful facades in London, I think. But I'm afraid the room is not open to the public and has no Pepys artefacts any longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I believe. I don't know what will become of the room. Do you?

      Delete
    2. I have noticed that they are doing an online survey at the moment to decide its future. You can have your say if you want:

      http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/corporation/consultation/prince_henrys_room_survey/index.htm

      Delete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.