Tuesday 9 October 2012

Cairns

As I only have one full day in Cairns I wanted to make the most of it. So I was up with the sun.

I took this from the balcony before heading off for some breakfast. I then went for a walk along the promenade. The tide was just on its way out so there were a lot of birds around looking for their breakfast in the receding tide.

A pair of royal spoonbills looked quite comical walking along the beach.
 
I think this is a curlew as it has the very long beak
 
These are Australian pelicans and they are absolutely huge. As I was awalking along the prom I was quite surprised that there was no-one swimming or even paddling in the sea and then I read this sign:
 
 
 There was a beautiful swimming lagoon a bit further on
 
 
 There were lots of other people strolling or jogging along the pathway so it was easy to find someone to take a photo
 
 
One of the great things about Cairns are all the facilities they have to encourage people to keep fit.
 
It certainly sets an example to other towns. There were a number of outdoor gyms beside the walkway
 
I walked round as far as I could go which was to the marina and then left the sea to go into the town for a look.
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. I read all the activities they have on the esplanade. I was impressed and would love it! Great shots. Glad you didn't venture into the water to visit the crocs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn! I love that town for its free activities! Talk about thinking about something positive for your citizens! ;o)

    Beautiful photos again! Loved the birds! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watch out for the crocs. It doesn't look the best at low tide and the reef prevents any surf rolling in.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.