Wednesday 9 January 2013

Mount Street Park

I came across this fascinating small  garden as I was walking back from Hyde Park to Charing Cross. Although not actually hidden away, it wasn't that obvious from the road. It was just a small passageway that then opened out into this green space surrounded by a school, large apartment blocks and two churches.













This sculpture was a present from the President of the Italian Republic in 1987



As I walked around this tiny garden I noticed that the benches all had plaques on them. All of a sudden this garden took on a completely different life.




















This small piece of London has meant so much to people from all around the world. Each bench told a different story of people I will never meet but feel I know. A very special garden indeed.






10 comments:

  1. Those small parks are wonderful. I remember one we came across, in Sussex Gardens, Paddington, I think. It was very well used and well maintained, but without the plaques. I supposed people donate to get a plaque on a bench.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is quite common in a number of our parks for people to pay for a bench with a dedication.

      Delete
  2. Amazing the things you find in London. It is a special little garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! One of the things I love about London are all the parks, big and small! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a nice parc. It is paid with the gifts of a personal bench or so. We don't know this in the Netherlands I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely find, the benches with plaques in a tiny garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice little garden. As one plaque said, "sharing the love of English gardens" is very nice. Thank YOU for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful to preserve memories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here too people are paying for a bench in little parks. I have discovered several little parks in London, because I have no orientation sense and got lost several times, lol ! But I always found a tube station or a bus back home !

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.