Tuesday 8 January 2013

The Nutcracker

I have started on my bucket list quite early in the year by visiting the ballet. This is an easy target to achieve as there are a number of ballet companies that perform at either the Opera House, the Coliseum or Sadler's Wells. So really this was not so difficult but nevertheless it is something I haven't done so I chose to see a ballet where I was familiar with the story and some of the music- The Nutcracker performed by the English National ballet at the Coliseum.



It was a last minute decision to go as I realised the production was finishing in a couple of days. Another option was to see the Matthew Bourne production of Sleeping Beauty at  Sadler's Wells but I just couldn't get a ticket so as I was in town I went to the theatre and asked for the best ticket they had at a reasonable price for that evening. Lots of theatres reduce the price of any tickets they have left for that evening's performance so it only cost me £15 for an excellent seat in the Dress Circle!


Not a great picture but you get the impression of what a beautiful theatre the Coliseum is and the view I had from my seat.



 

This shows you the boxes which you can purchase in stead of sitting in a row of seats. A little more expensive I would imagine.

I did enjoy the ballet. The dancing was excellent as you would expect and I marvel at how the women can dance on points if that is the correct terminology. It was just as well I chose a familiar tale as I probably would have struggled to follow an unknown story. I doubt I will become a regular ballet follower but if the opportunity arose again I am sure I would accept the offer.

9 comments:

  1. I love sharing your adventures as you check off your bucket list items! Coincidentally, we have been to exactly two professional ballet performances and they are the same two you mention! Very similar reactions to yours -- happy I got to go, not over-anxious to go again, but wouldn't turn down a chance. Isn't it fun to know how many new experiences are still out there waiting for us though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Theatre looks gorgeous .... I've seen this ballet performed in my home town but I'm sure it would not compare to the Coliseum production.
    Another of your "Bucket List" to do's accomplished and obviously much enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This surely is a great entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one I have never seen, but it is performed in Amsterdam every year at Christmas time. I prefer the more modern ballet. The theatre looks great, that makes the evening extra festive I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful production anywhere, I think. I'm glad you enjoyed it. You live in a perfect place to get just about anything in its best form! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen this years ago in the Opera of Brussels. It's also beautifully decorated inside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am I right in understanding you'd never been to the Ballet before this? (since you mention it as a Bucket List item) Living in LONDON??? Wow... For me that seems so hard to imagine...
    One of the things I complain about the cultural life (or lack thereof) in Alicante is the lack of Ballet. If we're lucky we'll get a couple of visits a year by decent international troupes who will put on a single performance, or maybe 2 different ballets on 2 consecutive nights. And it sells out FAST. In other words when I see there's Ballet on the program me for say, May, I'd better buy the tickets now in January or I won't get a seat. I HATE planning a night out 4 months in advance!!!

    I'm glad you chose the Nutcracker, it's the most fun of Tchaikovsky's ballets! I have a special spot in my heart for Swan Lake. When I lived in Mexico the National Ballet would do an open air production ON the Lake in the Chapultepec Park in February-March (every night for a month), with jousting in the background and fireworks when the evil magician showed up... and if you were lucky the Lake's swans would put in an appearance as well! I saw it 5-6 times with my family.

    I actually got tickets to take my mom to see the Nutcracker as a Christmas present! A Russian Ballet will be in Alicante in 2 weeks... can't wait! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow---what a great theatre, Linda.. The Coliseum is fabulous. I'd go there just to see that theatre... Wow!!!!! The Nutcracker is always a favorite... Glad you got to go --and take it off of your bucket list... That's AWESOME.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do live in the best city for cultural visits. Doesn't it feel great to be able to tick of things on the bucket list which have been there for a long time. You certainly got a good deal and a good seat.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.