Tuesday 12 March 2013

The Lake District

After my usual visit to see Mum in Manchester I decided to visit the Lake District which is only a couple of hours away. When I booked the trip I had an image in my head of daffodils blowing in the wind. After all, the area inspired Wordsworth to write about them. That vision soon disappeared as I was engulfed in a snow storm just outside Manchester and worried what awaited me in the more remote area of the Lake District National Park. After driving through two more snow falls, the skies cleared and the sun shone through as I arrived at my destination. By now it was 3.30pm so I quickly visited the tourist information centre to find out if there was a walk I could do before daylight disappeared. I was directed to Orrest Head viewpoint.

In the fading light I had a good view of Lake Windermere with snow covered mountains in the distance. It wasn't long before the snow began to fall and the bitter wind was going through me. Time to return to the B&B where I was staying and have a nice hot cup of tea!

13 comments:

  1. Very nice, it's been a while since I was up there though I might add the weekend was a disaster. I'd love to go back with my camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were back in time, must be bad to be there in the snow. It is beautiful there, I made a boat tour at the lake once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great walk! Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I think you had a tasty hot cup of tea. Your photos are very beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you went in and out of snowstorms.. Glad you got a little walk in. That last photo is fabulous. Love seeing the snow-covered mountains. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a beautiful place. We visited there a few years ago but in summer. We stayed in a B&B in Keswick. I hope the weather clears up so you can do some walks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the series of clouds in the first picture. It's a place where you can find peace. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's such a beautiful area ! I have seen quiet a lot of pictures ! So bad that you had a snowstorm and such a cold weather !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cold or not, it looks very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful...but goodness that walk really did call for a cup of tea at the end of it...you've had some real WINTER weather!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous shot! I love the name of the "Lake District"! It sounds very romantic, and always reminds me of Pride and Prejudice (even if Lizzie never got any further than Darbyshire) ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.