Saturday 8 June 2013

Open Garden Squares weekend (1)

This weekend  is the annual open Squares and gardens event where 200 unusual or historic gems which you normally can't get into open their gates. The gardens are spread throughout inner and outer London so with my open garden guidebook and map I sorted out which gardens I could feasibly get around within 6 hours.  Some were not worth a visit but others were a real treat to visit. My favourite was Park Square, one of the largest of London's private squares:










One unusual feature of the garden is the nursemaid's tunnel which takes you under the Euston Road to a smaller private garden at the other side.




 
 
 
 
 
 


 
 
 












I wonder how much it costs to be a key holder and be able to enjoy this delightful garden any time you want, but at least I could enjoy it for a short time today. In case you are wondering who might be key holders, this garden is on the edge of Regent's Park which is surrounded by the Nash Terraces, so draw your own conclusions
 
 
 
 Tomorrow I will be pounding the streets again looking for more of these secret gardens.

11 comments:

  1. Wow! That is some wonderful garden. I love those roses and the heather, and... well, it's all beautiful. Thank you for bringing me along. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you wonderful time, look forward to the next installment

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your photos. This is something I'd love to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A tunnel! How exciting. I wish it was a bit overgrown and the entrance be only just seen. I guess whatever it is in the photo above the chess set is something whimsical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful gardens! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh how enchantingly wonderful. Sometimes in the US some cities will have a garden tour - but they are simply homes that do up their gardens for viewers once a year, all on the same day. We have nothing like this over here - what a delight it would be if we did.

    I loved the tunnel idea - and the chess set - oh and everything was simply wonderful. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely, and what fun to explore such peaceful and hidden gems in the middle of a vibrant city!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this is so nice to visit. I like those open days, you can come at places which are always hided for everyone. The secret garden looks beautiful and the tunnel is so wonderful to pass through.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And apparently you were so lucky with the weather ! I wonder how much such a house would cost ! I saw once the house of Madonna in London on a sightseeing tour, which she rented for 500.000 £ per months !

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a beautiful oasis. I was wondering who uses the gardens but I guess you answered that. To an Aussie it all sounds a bit posh and snooty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.