Monday 25 April 2016

First impressions of Naples, Itay



 Travelling with my city break friend, Joan, we left London  early morning and were at our hotel in Naples by mid morning. As this was quite a cheap city break I thought we were staying in a small back street hotel but it turned out to be a rather plush converted palace called Palazzo  Caracciolo on Via Carbonara.

This was part of the dining area.


Lounge area









We then went off to explore our surroundings. Off the main roads the streets and lanes were very narrow. It didn't stop the numerous scooters riding at great speed and seemingly coming from all directions. So glad I wasn't  driving around this city!
Everywhere you looked there were lines of washing drying between the buildings.







Not far from the hotel was the Duomo. The Cathedral was built in the late 1200s, although there was a Christian building on the site from around 450AD.









Saint Januarius or San Gennaro the patron saint of Naples. This magnificent mural is the work of an Italian-Dutch street artist,  Jorit. It is on a wall close to the church of San Giorgio Maggiore.







We then walked the short distance to Garibaldi square. There was a lot of work going on in the square so not possible to get a photo but this is looking down to one of the exits/entrances to the Metro which is also a shopping and exhibition area.








Today there was dancing there. It looked as though anyone could take part. And before you ask, no I didn't!



This elegant iron and glass roof covers the Galleria Umberto.



It was built as part of an urban renewal plan after the cholera epidemic of 1885. It is a very impressive light, open space with shops and cafes but without the hustle and bustle of the streets outside.












After leaving the Galleria it was time for a sit down and where better than the Cafe Gambrinus. Once the haunt of politicians, writers and artists it is still a popular meeting place. Known for its cakes and ice cream. I couldn't resist the Gambrinus special.

Probably the most expensive ice cream I have ever had but I am in Italy, home to the best ice cream.

Due to the large port area along the sea front in Naples, we had to walk some distance before we found the view we wanted of the Bay of Naples with Vesuvius in the background. A little hazy but a view to admire nonetheless. The next day's visit  was the reason for coming to Naples - Pompeii.
Sharing with   Our World Tuesday


24 comments:

  1. Looks like you were having fun. What is city break? Is it like Roads Scholar?

    Haven't heard from you lately. Are you still headed over here in May? Things are a bit crazy here with our preparations to move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see Naples again, was there a few years ago. I remember indeed the crowded narrow streets. It is difficult to find your way when you can't see another street, only the high houses around you. And those terrible scooters indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhhhhh

    Travel. Mind expanding. I'm jealous. So jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful pictures! I would not have wanted to miss having that ice cream in Naples, either. I always enjoy coming along on your adventures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't there a song with the line '...in old Napoli'. Naples looks like I expect it would, very historic and interesting. I love the photo of the dancing. A penance of soup only the next day after all that icecream, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun! I bet you took loads of photographs. Hooray for digital cameras :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my, that ice cream. I hope you enjoyed every last bite and licked the spoon! So many wonderful views and I love the glass roof in the galleria. And the hotel -- what a wonderful surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved your tour of Naples! Great photos and gorgeous buildings. And I'd spend lots of money to have ice cream in Italy if it looked that good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, your tour of Naples looks fantastic. The hotel is pretty and I love the Bay of Naples. I would have to try the ice cream too, yum! Great collection of trip photos. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a wonderful city break. loved your tour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post and photos. The ice cream looks delicious. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful photography ~ so glad you got an elegant hotel and are having fun!

    Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - that's a place on my bucket list. That view of Vesuvius is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful captures from the city.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful shots from Naples.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your photos. Looks like an exciting city, special in many ways with that authentic ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your hotel looks like a palace ! Good for you ! Now you see a little how it is in Italy and this is the South ! I have been in Naples years ago and it's a miracle that I am still alive because I drove there !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Naples seems to be lovely. Impressive buildings, as usually found in Italy. Your ice cream looked delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not sure I know what a City Break is (unless it is just your term for going to one) -- but whatever it is, I want to do it! What a beautiful city == and that is certainly not a run-of-the-mill hotel! Beautiful view (and the ice cream photo was sort of my favorite, I am rather embarrassed to admit.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. For some reason, now I'm craving ice cream!!! Looks divine....and I be it WAS.

    Enjoyed the old world charm you shared of Naples.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow you are on another trip. It looks like a good start. The custom of hanging clothes out of the windows across the narrow alleys hasn't changed in 40 years when I was there last. I have a very similar photo.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.