Saturday 11 June 2016

Last day in New York

It took about 6 hours to return to New York from Boston  so I was glad my flight wasn't until the next evening  which  gives me a whole day in New York. We were staying at the Holiday Inn again but this time things didn't run as smoothly as last week's stay. Firstly we were given a room with a double bed. They were very quick to change it when told of their mistake. Secondly the safe in the room wouldn't work. Again they were very quick at responding and in no time at all an engineer came and changed the batteries. Then I couldn't find the hairdryer so once again I had to phone down to reception. Now would you have looked in the cupboard under the sink for a black bag that contained the hairdryer? I rest my case. I then decided to iron the top I wanted to wear that evening. I found the iron but there was no plug on it. I mean do people steal everything in a hotel room? This time I decided to leave it as I was sure reception had had enough of me by now. When J called for me to go out I was bemoaning the fact that my iron wouldn't work. She took one look and said 'Retractable lead and plug?' OK that was definitely my fault just glad I didn't call reception. All 14 of us met for a final meal in the hotel restaurant. Time to say our goodbyes as most people were leaving the hotel tomorrow either to fly home or to continue with their travels.


 Today was my birthday so there was a special little treat for me.




On the final day J and I wandered around Union Square  where they were getting ready for a Taiwan festival.






Sounds yummy!







Early lunch in the Cull and Pistol in Chelsea Market (Well it was my birthday weekend)



After lunch I left J in a wool shop whilst I went to have a last look at some of the sights.






Empire State Building



Where else would you see Minnie Mouse walking home?


Inside the New York Library.





























Then I walked round the corner to Grand Central Station. I couldn't leave New York without a last look at this magnificent building.


















People everywhere, waiting for trains, meeting their friends admiring their surroundings and then I spotted this couple.



Goodbye New York until the next time.





15 comments:

  1. Glad you had such a memorable birthday, as well as trip to the US. I'm sure you're also happy to be home again. I know I always sank happily into my own bed at the end of a trip. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great trip! I've enjoyed following along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belayed birthday to you ! I was a little disappointed of Boston, it was too European for me, I felt like in England, or almost ! But I can imagine that an American from Texas finds it amazing !
    You did a great trip ! and yes people steal in hotels it's unbelievable !

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was fun to follow you on your tour and see many things I remember. The Central Station I liked very much. When travelling through the States you regonizes so many things you have once seen in movies. I often felt like a was driving in a movieset.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last shot looks like something you should frame! I had a good laugh about your everlasting need to call the front desk. They have to be use to that :) Safe travels home. Janey

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks as though you packed a lot of fun stuff into that last day of your trip. And what a fun way to celebrate your birthday. Belated birthday wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are really interesting but railway station and New York library are great. Belated Happy Birthday. Your lunch was fantastic but too big for me

    ReplyDelete
  8. intestinal vermicelli

    oh lord...won't get that off my mind for a bit

    ...Love your last street-shot. Very lovely

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a great last day. I'm definitely not ordering the intestine vermicelli!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great end to your trip. Belated birthday wishes. Hope the journey home was less stressful than the final hotel stay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Much to our regret, we missed seeing Grand Central Station. It will be nice to drop into future conversations, 'When I had my last birthday in New York...'.

    ReplyDelete
  12. New York must be a fascinating city! Good spotting the romantic couple! I've never heard of an iron with a retractable lead and plug. It seems like a wonderful place to have celebrated your birthday too - very memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice post! And that giant lobster... yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday for this day. I have been away so I must scroll through your trip to NYC to catch up on your adventures. We stayed at Holiday Inn too. I had a giggle at the problems I've had those too on my travels. your meal looks a lot ore appetising than intestine vermicelli. Love the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. bon anniversaire et merci pour ces très belles images !

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.