Thursday 26 January 2017

Globe Head Ballerina

  This is a side view of the Opera House in Covent Garden. I'm sure a number of you will have walked past it numerous times but have you looked up?

If you looked up you would have noticed this life sized ballerina spinning inside a giant 'snow-globe'.The sculpture 'Globe Head Ballerina' was based on a photograph of Margot Fonteyn. The dancer has a Victorian-style globe as a head reflecting the international work of the Royal Opera House and the universality of ballet as an art form

The artwork is by Yinka Shomibare who also sculpted' Nelson's ship in a bottle' which was show cased on the Fourth Plinth from 2010 to 2012.


The interesting thing about this sculpture is that it was installed in June 2012 and this is the first time I have noticed it which is probably the same for numerous others. A worthwhile piece of art? Hardly, if no-one notices it's there.

11 comments:

  1. It's really different and a little bit on the subtle side, but I'm glad you found it and shared it with me. I like it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why install it so high if its above everyone's sightline? More appropriate at eye level I would think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not look up :( That is unusual for me, who often looks like a country lad come to the big city and stares up at the tall buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a quirky piece, I may have seen it if I was in a car, I tend to look up when I'm a passenger, but not if I was walking.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Usually I always look up and then stumble over stones walk in puddles etc. But this I haven't seen so far. Next time I will pay attention _

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah! Highlighting the importance of looking up now and then hey Fun60 ☺ I prefer his ship in a bottle, I've always fancied a ship in a bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder how many of these little secrets are hidden on buildings that only those in the know ever see!

    Sorry about slow reply - I have been in New Zealand and blogging has taken a bit of a back seat.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the snow globe sign. Very creative.
    You are correct about my Miro Museum post. Those works of art are by current artists chosen by the Museum curators in a special exhibit apart from Miro's work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. London is full of surprises. I have never seen this snow globe, and I wonder if I missed it or if it wasn't there yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stealth art! Beautifully done and I'd think the artist if no one else would certainly I wonder they don't move it to be more accessible.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.