Monday 16 October 2017

Ottawa

I have just returned from a road trip which started in Ottawa, Canada taking me over the border to New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont before returning to Ottawa via Montreal. I was travelling with my Canadian friend M, who did all the driving. I was responsible for navigating but did get help from Brenda, the sat nav.
Ottawa, previously known as Bytown was made the capital of Canada by Queen Victoria in 1857. The inhabitants renamed it Ottawa after the river of the same name which runs through the city. Three buildings make up Parliament Hill. This one is the Houses of Parliament and the library.
















On either side of the Houses of Parliament are the buildings which house the offices.



In front of the buildings is the Centennial flame, a fountain with a natural gas flame burning at its centre. It was lit in 1967 to symbolise the first 100 years of Canadian Confederation and has the shields of all the provinces and territories with the date each joined Canada.



2017 marks the year that the British North America Act was passed by the British Parliament, paving the way for colonies of Canada, including Ontario and Quebec, to join Nova Scotia and New Brunswick  in creating a single  Dominion of Canada.

Walking round the back of the Houses of Parliament you get a closer look at the 16 side gothic library. Built in the 1860s it survived the 1916 fire which destroyed much of the Parliament building which was rebuilt in 1920.
                       








From behind Parliament you get some wonderful views of the river and the rest of the City.


The Ottawa River marks the boundary between the provinces of Ontario and Quebéc,  the French speaking and the English speaking provinces.












We walked into the town passed the Chateau Laurier, a hotel built between 1908 and 1912 and enlarged in the 1920s. It was the first in a chain of Chateau styled hotels built by the Grand Trunk Railway to encourage tourists to travel its routes.














A little glimpse at the glamour inside the lobby of the hotel.

































Next stop  was the market for some lunch.



The place was awash with pumpkins.











A little shoe shopping perhaps. Not one pair had a price tag. In other words 'if you have to ask the price then you can't afford them!'





This high rise caught my eye as the lines are not perpendicular. Not sure that the photo captured it though.











The war memorial.











The old and the new.
Some of the older houses in Ottawa. Unfortunately many have been demolished to make way for modern high rise blocks.

Many of these old houses had balconies just above street level.You can imagine people sitting there in  bygone days.















21 comments:

  1. Great photos and it sounds like a wonderful trip. I had a laugh about your comment ..."if you have to ask the price..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great time of year for a road-trip in that part of the world (based only on my knowledge of Vermont and NH in the Fall -- sadly, we've never traveled in that part of Canada) ... Ottawa is obviously a beautiful city. Thanks for the great guided tour (thanks to you, your lovely friend/driver, and your no- doubt highly accurate navigator). Maybe it's just a dog-in-the-manger attitude, but I swear I wouldn't wear any of those shoes even if they only cost ten dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There seems to be plenty of history still alive in Ottawa. It seems Canada had a similar beginning to Australia, a coming together of individual colonies. You didn't run into Justin did you? We would call a balcony just above street level as a verandah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What marvelous buildings! But I'll pass on the shoes... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow interesting place to visit nice photos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful tour of the city. There is so much to see here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun to have a tour through Ottawa and see all the special building I remember of my visit some time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting with great pics as usual. Look forward to hearing about the rest of the trip. You can keep the shoes though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the staircase in the hotel, and gawked at the strange shoes! Ottawa is a fine looking city. Thanks for the tour. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a Canadian who's not yet visited Ottawa ... I realize you traveling from such a distance gives me no excuses. I think I'll have to put it in on my list as well as start saving for a pair of those fancy shoes. :))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous. Makes me want to have a visit. And the shoes????

    ReplyDelete
  12. That you for the cyber tour. I hope someday I could see all these with my own two eyes.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pictures!! lovely places..

    ReplyDelete
  14. been to Canada once but not in Ottawa. Lots of things lo like as it seems :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ottawa looks very beautiful ~ Wonderful photography series of your travels ~ you certainly do get around ~ ^_^

    A Shutter Bug Explores ~ aka ~ (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks like a nice city, and you had a perfect day to explore it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds like quite a road trips! Ottawa looks very beautiful. Not sure why it doesn't get more attention. Seems like there are tons of things to do in there. #OurWorldTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was scrolling through Marianne's list and saw the Peace Tower in a thumbshot, so clicked over here. It's fun to see my city through the eyes of another photographer. I love living here, and recognized the locations- though I'll have to seek out that house with the turret.

    The shoe store I know of, passing through the Market three or four times a week. I go up to a neighbouring shop just up the street for one of my weekend papers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow you saw a lot ! I will read the whole posts together once I arrive in Amsterdam !

    ReplyDelete
  20. The shoes look like John Fluevog who actually isn't that expensive.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.